Thursday, September 12, 2013

Real Mom Vent - Doctors

Posted by Mac at 9:22 PM
About two weeks ago, I had an appointment with a doctor that I have never seen before. I was kind of in a hurry and left the house without my medical records. I know better than this. Having an illness that doesn't show on the outside taught me long ago that I need to have hard copies of all my records and labs anytime I see any new doctor. I forgot. Silly me.


Long story short, this new doctor made me feel like a drug addict. He called me a liar without actually saying it and was basically just an asshole.

Fast forward a bit... my doctor had his nurse call me yesterday to follow up on my lab results. He wanted to make sure that I was actively seeing a rheumatologist and to make an appointment soon because all of my levels came back very high. 

Well no shit, Sherlock. I wasn't lying when I told your had Lupus. I wasn't trying to abide drugs when I asked you to help me manage my pain. I know I don't look sick. I know that this disease effects older women. 

I am use to having to prove myself to doctors, but this one takes gold. Not only are you going to accuse me of drug seeking behavior, which you probably wrote in my chart (and is bound to f me over), but you don't have the decency to call my personally and tell me that my levels are high?! 

I don't want an apology. In fact, I don't want one. I am fine with my records and labs proving you wrong. I just want you to acknowledge that I do, in fact, have what I say I have. Also, your help in treating it would be nice too. I can't prescribe my own medications, even if I do know more about the disease than you do!

2 comments:

Unknown on September 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM said...

Oh girlfriend, so been there! I actually had a Pharmacist accuse me of drug seeking as well. I love when doctors try and suddenly give you a diagnosis of something you've tested negative for multiple times. I totally understand that they are "more educated" than we are but we are decent enough to listen without accusation. Thinking of you and understanding your situation!

Unknown on September 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM said...

Oh girlfriend, so been there! I actually had a Pharmacist accuse me of drug seeking as well. I love when doctors try and suddenly give you a diagnosis of something you've tested negative for multiple times. I totally understand that they are "more educated" than we are but we are decent enough to listen without accusation. Thinking of you and understanding your situation!

 

The Real Mom Crusade Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos