Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Real Mom Confession - Workouts!

Posted by Mac at 8:13 PM
After a long but productive month, I'm finally ready to publicly announce... Are you ready for it?....

I have started working out again, after more than 5 years of complacency and pain.

 I have a million reasons why... none that you care about, I'm sure. (And besides, they are probably totally different then the reasons why any one of you works out, or doesn't workout.) But this is a major milestone for me and I want to share a bit of my journey (and reasons) with you guys. 


After I had Little Tiger, I quickly lost all the "baby weight" because of a GI issue related to Lupus. But once I got back to a comfortable weight, one that allowed me to fit in all my pre-baby clothes, I didn't put much thought into working out to be fit or to lose more weight, for a lot of reasons that I am not ready to publicly admit. I was comfortable right where I was. 

Best of all, my hubby had just returned from a deployment, so he thought I was the sexiest thing he had seen for a year, which is true! I didn't have a reason to workout for fitness and Lupus was keeping me skinny without diet or exercise. 

Now, almost 4 years later, things are starting to sag and my muscles aren't exactly as toned (or as strong) as they were when I was a younger mother.

My hubby is a workout freak! I'm serious. He works out religiously and he looks great for it. He lost 40 pounds in just a few short months just by eating better and working out. I don't eat as great as he does and I am definitely not as faithful to working out as he is. For me, and I think for most moms, it is work... and it is hard work that I lack the energy and enthusiasm for. 

My hubby is wonderful. He has never once told me that I am out of shape, fat, or that I could look better. He does encourage me to workout for the health benefit and to be stronger. His persistence is the reason that I started working out again. 

Hubby's motivation wasn't enough, I needed something else. Something to make me WANT to workout. So, I did what any woman would do, I got new shoes! 


Aren't they wonderful? I love how bright they are and they make me happy. But I only wear them to the gym, so that means I can only wear them when I workout. Which in turn means that I have to workout as often as I can just to wear these new beauties.

Anyways, I've been working out for a month and this morning I finally saw a number on the scale that I haven't seen for a while... a long while... since like high school!  I know I said I wasn't working out to lose weight and I'm not, but it was rewarding to see the numbers on the scale drop and re-enforce that I am doing something right at the gym, not just wasting my time.

I still have a ways to go. I still have bad days where going to the gym is the last thing that I even want to think about. I lose motivation and lack energy. I am in no way perfect. I'm a real mom, doing what I need to, to be a happy and healthy role model for my daughter. (And to not be the first person to die in the Hunger Games, Zombie apocalypse or whatever other disaster, real or imagined, might be coming). My ass may not look banging in a pair of jeans, or even yoga pants... but I'm getting there. (Right, Honey?)

Why do you workout? Who or what is your motivation? 

2 comments:

Unknown on October 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM said...

I also recently began a new journey into the fitness world. Similar to you I have struggled with physical difficulties and have enjoyed motherhood. Yet my time away from a good physic has been 20 years. I am not saying I have done nothing but ice cream and TV for 20 years but I also haven't been consistent in my exercise. Thus, bringing my body to a severe sagging point of no return. Or so I thought. I started Water Aerobics and LOVE IT! The stress is less difficult on my body but the overall workout is amazing! I haven't felt this good in years. I am even thinking about teaching a few Water classes. We are really enjoying our new found hang out at the YMCA as a family. I only wish Muppet and Baby could join us for a swim.

Mac on October 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM said...

Dianne, you are an inspiration to me. If you can do it, so can I!!! Xoxo

 

The Real Mom Crusade Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos